Welcome to the 228th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- Beme lost its founding members this week. Casey Neistat and Matt Hackett are not longer apart of the project. Neistat explained part of it in a video while Hackett took to Medium. Basically, the products aren’t going so well and CNN is continuing on their own. This gives both creators a chance at a fresh start. Employees from Beme get to stay with CNN if they want to. For the last time, so long, Beme.
- YouTube TV now has 300,000 subscribers. That’s still pretty far away from competitors. Still, it shows fairy significant growth. YouTube TV isn’t that old and it’s growing rapidly. Sling TV still reigns with two million while DirecTV NOW trails with one million. The only other competitor above YouTube TV is Hulu TV with 450,000. We imagine they’ll overtake Hulu eventually.
- App Annie released one of its semi-annual app store reports. The reports indicate a lot of the same stuff. Google Play had vastly more downloads than Apple’s App Store. However, the App Store generated almost twice as much revenue. Most of Google Play’s non-gaming revenue was productivity subscriptions, particularly for cloud storage. Otherwise, it’s mostly the same as it was last year.
- Nintendo announced the end of Miitomo this week. The company’s weird half-social, half-game title had a quick start but quickly became a foot note. The app removed all in-app purchases in preparation. There is one final event for players before the shut down. Otherwise, the game is just going to continue until the shut down. Nintendo plans on shutting the doors on May 9th, 2018. Goodbye, Miitomo!
- Google took yet another shot at Amazon this week. This time YouTube removed its optimized version from Silk Browser. That means those with Fire TVs have to do it the old fashioned way with the normal desktop UI. It’s quite difficult to use with a remote. The feud continues still and likely will for a while.
For even more Android apps and games news, releases, and updates, click here to check out this week’s full newsletter! You can also subscribe with the form below.
10 best endless runner games for Android
10 best sports news apps for Android
If we missed any Android apps or games news, updates, or releases, tell us about them in the comments! Check back next week for more!