Joe Reedle/Getty Images
- SpaceX has launched Falcon Heavy, the most powerful rocket the company has ever built.
- After its launch, company founder Elon Musk called for "a new space race."
- Falcon Heavy's cost of $90 million per launch, made possible by reusable rockets, will vastly undercut SpaceX's competitors.
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida — Just hours after SpaceX thundered its first Falcon Heavy rocket into space and secured its place as the most powerful launch system of its kind on Tuesday, company founder Elon Musk called for a new space race.
"I think it's going to open up a sense of possibility," Musk said of his freshly demonstrated 23-story launcher. "We want a new space race. Space races are exciting."
See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- SpaceX's Falcon Heavy launch was an incredible success — here are the best moments
- Elon Musk says SpaceX has 'done everything you can think of' to prepare Falcon Heavy for launch today
- SpaceX's enormous Falcon Heavy rocket is vertical on the launchpad — here's what it looks like up close