- The Olympic Athletes from Russia walked out during opening ceremonies in outfits of muted color and under the Olympic flag.
- The fashion and flag choices were imposed as part of sanctions against Russia for allegations of widespread doping among Russian athletes in past Olympics.
- While Russia will not be formally recognized, the delegation is still one of the largest at the Winter Games and will likely contend for the top of the medal count.
The opening ceremony to the Winter Olympics marked the official start of the games on Friday at Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium.
The centerpiece of the opening ceremony is always the parade of nations, in which the athletes march out with their country's delegation behind their flag, wearing matching uniforms representative of their country and waving to the collected crowd.
See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- WINTER OLYMPICS: Here are the biggest moments from the opening ceremony
- The US ski jump team is purposely competing jet-lagged at the Olympics so they think less before flying hundreds of yards
- There is actually a logical explanation for why there is an Olympic sport that combines cross-country skiing and guns